Founder Charlie Acklen stands on the porch of the original Charlie’s Place in 1968 when it was located on 1106 Third Street in Corpus Christi. Photo was taken in 1968
Charlie Acklen
Charlie Acklen

Founded in 1965, The Coastal Bend Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation Center quickly became known as “Charlie’s Place,” due to the selfless and caring hands of one man, Charlie Acklen. He devoted his life to helping those unable to help themselves.

Joined by others who wanted to assist or who had themselves been helped, Charlie’s Place soon became known for working miracles in the lives of their clients … at a low cost per client.

Charlie’s Place began as a small 24-hour alcoholic’s halfway house with a 12-step program. Through the years it has become a professional and comprehensive treatment center.

Read a short history about the early years

The second Charlie's Place
The second Charlie’s Place was located in an old neighborhood on IH-37 and Up River Road in Corpus Christi, Texas, where it served many clients for many years. Charlie’s Place moved to its current location at IH-37 and McBride Lane in the fall of 2009. The new facility, housed in a renovated hotel, provides more room and has allowed Charlie’s Place to expand its services.